12/07/2007

The Weight of His Glory

It is difficult to describe the time so far at Together on a Mission in Brighton. I think I had great hopes of posting much, but the things that are happening are difficult to put into words. Dan had intended to post as well, but we are just too overwhelmed with the goodness of God. There are others who are blogging more detail about the conference, and the messages will soon be available on the website.

But to just give a flavour…

The presence of God in this place is so heavy. In every meeting we seem to be worshipping before an open heaven. Sometimes it is impossible even to stand in His presence. And much of the worship is about the glorious Kingdom purposes of God – that His reign shall cover the whole earth.

The prophecies are awesome. A repeated emphasis concerns a new day, that God is turning a new page that will see great ingatherings, healing and even people being raised from the dead. There has been a call for spiritual fathers to lead by example and to pioneer new things. I find that a great challenge as a pastor leading a group of people who need to step into new things.

There is amazing, equipping teaching. Not least Terry Virgo’s session yesterday morning on leading people into the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. The key thing he shared was the need for truth. The reason many do not receive is that they are confused. Terry didn’t give us methods as such (like some of the false methods of getting people to copy you speaking in tongues) – in fact he cautioned against any such methods. He simply masterfully explained the doctrine and the errors to avoid. For example, the conservative evangelical position of receiving it all at conversion.

Terry said this on Acts 19v2 (“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”): If you received it all at conversion, the question would be like saying, "Were you converted when you were converted?” It was such a helpful seminar.

There is amazing, inspirational teaching. Last night, David Devenish taught on The Ephesus Mission – Pattern for World Evangelisation. He asked, “What is the mission?” The answer is contained in Habakkuk 2v14, “For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of God, as the waters cover the sea.” It is so encouraging to hear the restoration vision trumpeted from the platform here!

There is awesome impartation. Yesterday Rob Rufus prayed for lead elders, and also for everyone generally to receive a ministry for healing and deliverance. All I can say is that I could not stand in the presence of God. My hands were on fire, and it felt like my ears had been cleansed. I wonder if God desires to use my hands and to speak to my ears. Our God is an awesome God.

And all of this is a mighty understatement. Words are not adequate!

2 comments:

jul said...

Great great stuff! Personally, I'm enjoying these testimonies even more than the sermon notes others are posting. Adrian has just posted an interview with Rob Rufus that I'm very excited to listen to soon. I love hearing these stories of God's goodness and manifest presence, I just know he's up to something big!

Peter Day said...

He definitely is up to something big. I have never sensed the weight of God's glory so much, and now I am back I am still basking in it!

God bless you, Jul! And may a mighty wave of anointing hit you as you hear the messages which, I believe, are soon to be posted on the Newfrontiers website.